Probably the most important thing to remember when you are faced with the issue of downsizing, is that this is a major improvement to your lifestyle.
- Focus on your new life and how you want that to look and feel;
- Think about your things in the light that they have served their purpose, and you have enjoyed their use, and now someone else will have the pleasure of them;
- If you have items that haven’t seen the light of day for a long time, remember lots of people could make use of it. Let it go so it can do some good or make someone else happy;
- Approach downsizing as a unique opportunity to assess what you truly love and need in your life;
- Remember at the end of the day, you are not defined by your possessions. Don’t let “stuff” get in the way of your exciting new future!
That being said, here are the top 10 downsizing tips!!!
- Begin 3 to 6 months in advance
- Keep track of where everything goes;
- Once designated, move items quickly
- Take photos of valuables to preserve memories
- Reminisce and share stories as you de-clutter
- Begin at 12 o’clock and work clockwise through each room
- Don’t sell anything until family/relatives have seen it first
- Know that your donations will help those in need
- Do a second de-cluttering once you relocate
- Honor your feelings and emotions during this process.
And now, how to begin!
- First and foremost, if possible, enlist the help of family, friends or even a professional
- Set clear guidelines and timelines; know when to “stop”
- Tackle one room at a time only or address one “group” of items at a time – i.e. clothing, furniture, kitchen and dishes ware, linens, scrap books, books etc.
- Have necessary equipment at the ready to stay organized: boxes, labels or index cards, tape,
containers (like laundry baskets), large garbage bags and a notebook and pen
- Start with larger or more obvious items first, like furniture pieces, art, lamps etc.
- Note and label the items you wish to take to your new home, or just to keep
- For smaller items have containers, and label them: Keep, Give Away, Sell, Throw Out . These can even be color-coded! (remember nothing is moving yet – it’s just being sorted).