Grande Prairie Hearing Expert – Teresa Blimkie, (RHAP) Member of the International Hearing Society (IHS), National Board Certified (NBC-HIS), & currently serving as past president for CHAPA

Question: How can I fix the ringing in my ears?

Tinnitus, the ringing in a person’s ear, is a noise heard in the absence of an external source. People who experience this should be evaluated by a qualified Hearing Care Professional and initial treatment should be directed toward ruling out a medical cause.

Tinnitus is not curable, but there are many ways to manage it. Utilizing counseling, stress management techniques, having a low sodium diet, using hearing aids, and using sound masking devices can help people that experience tinnitus. The relationship between hearing loss and tinnitus is similar. When the brain is not getting enough auditory input tinnitus can appear quite loud; however, when auditory information is added with hearing aids tinnitus is reduced or eliminated.

Suite 104 – 9835 101 Ave, Grande Prairie • (780) 532-7171